Monday 28 April 2014

CM PUNK - Talented but not needed.


PLEASE BE AWARE THIS POST IS OPINION. I DO NOT AIM TO OFFEND ANYONE AND I DO NOT WISH TO OFFEND ANYONE. I RESPECT PUNK AND I JUST WANT TO SHARE MY THOUGHTS WITH YOU ALL.

27th of January was the day he walked out and the date today is 28th of April. The WWE has proven they just don't need him. It may sound like I'm bashing him but I want to be very clear I'm not. I respect all Punk's work and I understand how hard the business can be on someone so if he left i understand and respect that. He was/is extremely talented and knows how to work a match and the mic but lets face it the machine rolls on. WWE have proven they can continue without him. Sure the first few weeks were a bit clustered while WWE found their footing again but things have really levelled out now. 

While I'm not saying that Punk is responsible for the change in WWE I'm also not ruling it out. I just feel that it should be noted how well WWE have coped without him. Since Punk left we have seen;
  • Daniel Bryan become champion at Wrestlemania
  • John Cena put on some of his most interesting work in years
  • The Shield get put into main event calibre matches
  • Bray Wyatt get some much needed attention
  • Cesaro and Barrett get pushes

All of these things were topics that fans wanted to see, specifically Bryan. It was rumoured that Bryan took Punks spot and that it could have been Punk who beat HHH clean at Mania. In all honesty I'm glad it wasn't. I think Bryan sold it so well that I wouldn't want it any other way. I mean yes Punk was a huge part of WWE for about 2 years (yes he was around before that but he was spotlighted as a talent since the pipebomb) and he gave some great matches but is it not better to bow out when you can and give others a chance?

It has taken nearly three months for fans to believe that this may not be a work and that he may actually not be coming back. A lot of the CM PUNK chants have died down in arenas and the whole Hijack Raw bullshit basically hung itself when WWE used it against them. This is a good thing. It means fans are ready to move on and accept the product without worrying about when and if he will be back and this can only be a good thing. And no I don't mean its good that they stop talking about him, I mean its good because if no one is talking then imagine the reaction he gets if he returns. Thats a big if by the way.  



In recent years there has been no one as rebellious as CM Punk when it comes to defying the powers that be and its clear that he will be remembered but would you rather be remembered as "the guy who walked away without saying why" or "the guy who worked on his own terms"? CM Punk should be looked at as an inspiration in some ways. He argues for what he believes in, he stands up for himself and he takes a stand when the boss does something wrong. A lot of guys are afraid to do this in case they lose their jobs. Punk wasn't. A lot of guys wouldn't dare to just walk away. Punk did. A lot of guys would be afraid of the repercussions of their actions. Punk wasn't. Like him or hate him you gotta respect a guy who stands for what he believes in. 

As I as saying though, WWE has managed to thrive over the last three months without him. Do they need him back? No they don't and I question why so many people want him back when in fact there is no story line for him right now. Guys like Ziggler, Sandow, Kofi and Sheamus among many others are all floating around without a storyline so why would you bring Punk back unless you have a slot on the roster for him. 
I say let Punk rest and let him have his space and time.
If he chooses to come back he will but for the time being we should enjoy the product for what it is and remember those who are on screen as well as remembering those who aren't. 

So what do you think? Let me know by leaving a comment below or sending me a message on twitter @levellerLOW and as always thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment